It’s here, it’s finally here! The first 1.0 release of Parole Media Player has finally arrived. This release greatly improves the user experience for users without hardware-accelerated video and includes several fixes.
Parole 0.9.x Developments
If you’ve been following along with the stable release channel, you have a lot of updates to catch up on. Here’s a quick recap. For everybody else, skip to the next header.
- Parole 0.9.0 introduced a new mini mode, boosted X11 playback, and made the central logo clickable. When your playlist is complete, the “play” logo changes to a “replay” logo.
- Parole 0.9.1 improved support for remote files and live stream playback. Older code was stripped away to make Parole even leaner and faster.
- Parole 0.9.2 introduced a keyboard shortcuts helper (Help > Keyboard Shortcuts), fixed numerous bugs, and included a huge code cleanup and refactor.
Parole 1.0.0: New Feature, Automatic Video Playback Output
- We’ve finally resolved the long-standing “Could not initialise Xv output” error (Xfce #11950) that has plagued a number of our users, both in virtual machines and on real hardware.
- In the past, we were delighted when we were able to implement the Clutter backend to solve this issue, but that API proved to be unstable and difficult to maintain between releases.
- Now, we are using the “autoimagesink” for our newly defaulted “Automatic” video output option. This sink provides the best available sink (according to GStreamer) for the available environment, and should produce great results no matter the setup.
Parole 1.0.0: Bug Fixes
- Fixed 32-bit crashes when using the MPRIS2 plugin (LP: #1374887)
- Fixed crash on “Clear History” button press (LP: #1214514)
- Fixed appdata validation (Xfce #13632)
- Fixed full debug builds and resolved implicit-fallthrough build warning
- Replaced stock icon by freedesktop.org compliant option (Xfce #13738)
Parole 1.0.0: Translations
Albanian, Arabic, Asturian, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (Australia), Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Occitan (post 1500), Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian
Parole Media Player 1.0.0 is included in Xubuntu 18.04. Check it out this week when you test out the Beta!
sudo apt update sudo apt install parole
The latest version of Parole Media Player can always be downloaded from the Xfce archives. Grab version 1.0.0 from the below link.
- SHA-256: 6666b335aeb690fb527f77b62c322baf34834b593659fdcd21d21ed3f1e14010
- SHA-1: ed56ab0ab34db6a5e0924a9da6bf2ee91233da8a
- MD5: d00d3ca571900826bf5e1f6986e42992