After 3 weeks of dedicated development time, the first Xfce Screensaver beta release is now available! With better event handling, a significantly upgraded preferences dialog, and a tidier codebase, the new version is nearly ready for prime time. 🎉
- All available configuration options are now available in the Preferences dialog, boosting the easily accessible options from 4 to 13!
- Idle time is now based on the X11 Screensaver plugin instead of the GNOME Session Manager.
- Xfce Screensaver now respects the xdg-screensaver state, inhibiting the screensaver when using apps like Caffeine or watching a fullscreen video.
- Screensaver and lock screen functionality can easily now be toggled separately.
- All deprecated DBUS methods and signals have been removed from the documentation.
- Documentation has been written and is available at on the Xfce Docs site. Available docs include:
- Dropped unused configuration options [1, 2, 3]
- Renamed all Xfconf properties for improved clarity and easier maintenance [1, 2]
- Replaced Help link with a link to the Xfce Docs (Xfce #14877)
- Added /usr/lib and /usr/libexec as trusted engine paths, enabling local installs on Linux with access to existing screensavers (Xfce #14883)
- Fixed screen blanking and locking on FreeBSD and OpenBSD (Xfce #14846)
- Fixed lock screen crash on laptop lid-close events (GTK #1466)
- Fixed daemon crash when scrolling through available themes
- Improved window size resizing for smaller displays
- Renamed included screensavers to avoid conflicts with MATE Screensaver
- Reduced flicker rate when multiple keyboard layouts are available (still not fully fixed, but greatly improved)
- Silenced warning: ar: ‘u’ modifier ignored since ‘D’ is the default
- Fixed warning: Target given more than once in the same rule
- Applied cpplint fixes and added cpplint configuration file
- Cleaned up unused variables, trailing spaces, and deprecated code
- Glade templates were cleaned up and organized for easier maintenance
Albanian, Basque, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Danish, French, Galician, Hebrew, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Malay, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Turkish
This is the first beta release of Xfce Screensaver. While still not recommended for production machines, this is a great time to test and report bugs so we can put together an awesome stable release soon.
Xubuntu users (18.04, 18.10, and 19.04) can grab the package from the Xubuntu QA Experimental PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/experimental
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xfce4-screensaver
Remember to also remove or exit light-locker and start xfce4-screensaver (or log out and back in) and add support for xfce4-screensaver to the xflock4 script.
Thanks and enjoy!