What’s New in Catfish 0.6?
- Completely rewritten from the ground-up.
- Replace the UNIX ‘find’ command with Python’s os.walk. This makes everything faster and more responsive. The “Deep Search” button is now also gone.
- The sidebar now uses the theme style as well as symbolic icons (when available).
- The interface has also had a number of other tweaks, further refining it into a professional-grade application.
- File names can now be dragged from the search results into other applications.
- Files can now be deleted from the results window.
- To speed things up, these above items and other file actions can now also be performed on multiple files at once.
- Strings have been simplified and made clearer, making the application easier to translate into other languages.
- Last but not least, this is the first version of Catfish that can be run with either Python 2 or 3.
With the newly-optimized interface and strings, there’s a need for new translations. There are more strings than ever before, and I think that the number of users is growing as well. As such, there is a growing need for more localizations than ever before. And, all of the old translations are no longer compatible...
So, if you or a friend are interested in contributing, improving, or suggesting translations to the next release, check out the Launchpad translations page! Creating and modifying translations is really as simple as can be with their handy interface. And hurry, because this next release will likely happen this weekend and will include all completed translations!
What About the Code?
Thanks for your interest in Catfish! What do you think? Let me know in the comments!