A new release of Xubuntu is just around the corner! The release candidate for Xubuntu 15.10 “Wily Werewolf” is now available, with the final release expected less than a week from now on October 22.
This list highlights several new features and applications, but is by no means exhaustive.
This post will be updated with a link to the full release notes once they are available and complete.
Summary of Changes
- LibreOffice Writer and Calc are now included, replacing Abiword and Gnumeric. We have also included a new theme for LibreOffice based on elementary to better integrate with the Xubuntu environment.
- A new application, Xfce Panel Switch is now included in Xubuntu. This application enables users to easily backup, restore, import, and export panel layouts. I cover the application in greater detail here.
- A new window manager theme, Greybird Accessibility is now included and available from the window manager settings.
- Catfish, MenuLibre, and Mugshot have all been promoted to their latest development versions as they continue to improve for the next LTS, Xubuntu 16.04.
|Application||Vivid (15.04)||Wily (15.10)|
|GTK Theme Config||1.2||1.2.1|
|LightDM GTK+ Greeter||2.0.0||2.0.1|
|LightDM GTK+ Greeter Settings||1.1.0||1.2.0|
|Parole Media Player||0.8.0||0.8.1|
|Xfce Power Manager||1.4.3||1.4.4|
|Xfce Whisker Menu||1.4.3||1.5.0|
|Xfce Panel Switch||1.0.3|
|Xubuntu Default Settings||15.04.5||15.10.3|
Available for Testing
We’re dependent on the tests run by our community and team members leading up to the final release. Until the final release on Thursday, please help us with testing the images for any significant issues. As larger issues are identified and fixed, new images will be created, so be sure to check the tracker each day. The tracker is located here. The Xubuntu tests and links to the download images can be found at the bottom.
A few issues have been identified at this time. There are likely to be others, so please do not hesitate to report new bugs.
- LP: #1488814: failed to boot from USB disk with error:Boot error.
During tests the gnome-disks tool was found to be the most reliable USB creation method.
- LP: #1341944: 32-Bit UEFI bootloader support needed
- LP: #1447038 Shutdown/Restart of live session guest does not work in Virtualbox or VMWare
- LP: #1401609: gmusicbrowser crashes on close
- Also see bugs relevant to the common Ubuntu infrastructure