I wanted to find a nice squirrel quote, but it seems most folks have a horrific dislike for the little critters.
— Myself, after looking up squirrel quotes here
Xubuntu 16.04 is a 3-year long term support (LTS) release. This means it will receive security and stability updates for 3 years (into 2019). LTS releases are recommended for anyone who wants a stable system and may not want to upgrade every 6-9 months.
Xubuntu 16.04 includes improvements that have been made since the last LTS release. I’ve covered these in the past blog posts below.
Below is a very small subset of the changes found in Xubuntu 16.04. For a complete set, please refer to the release notes.
- New Xfce Power Manager plugin in the panel (14.10)
- New Xubuntu Light and Xubuntu Dark color schemes in Mousepad and Terminal (15.04)
- Xfce Panel Switch, an application to easily create, import, and export panel layouts (15.04)
- LibreOffice Writer and Calc (with a new elementary icon theme) are included by default (15.10)
- Gnome Software replaces the Ubuntu Software Center for application management (16.04)
- 10 beautiful new community wallpapers
- An innumerable amount of updates to the included applications, including Catfish, MenuLibre, Mugshot, Parole, and Xfce 4.12
- Ubuntu doesn’t provide \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI for UEFI systems (LP: #1366546)
- Shutdown/Restart of live session guest does not work in Virtualbox, and VMWare. (LP: #1447038)
- Automatic remount of safely removed usb 3.0 drive (LP: #792085)
- cryptsetup password prompt not shown (LP: #1359689)
- The input box for editing a Wired connection static IP address doesn’t appear correctly (LP: #1530323)
- Mugshot crashes when trying to capture image (camera currently disabled) (LP: #1516237)
- Mouse cursor lost when unlocking (appears to only affect Intel GPUs) (LP: #1568604)
Thunar currently has some severe bugs with crashing on file moves and renames. We have included two upstream patches to help alleviate the issue, but you may come across these in your usage.
- Thunar file order changes when renaming (LP: #1311926)
- Thunar crashes on file renaming (LP: #1512120)
- Thunar crash while copying (LP: #1514912)
- Thunar crash while dragging and dropping (LP: #1540186)
Well, what are you waiting for? Head over to the Xubuntu website and start your download!